Friday 29 November 2019

Critical Reflection

Module learning

At the beginning of the module, I set the goal for myself to learn to present information effectively. I feel that I have partially achieved that goal because I have improved in certain skills, but also saw more needed room for improvement in other skills.
From the module, I have learnt to filter relevant points to include in summaries and technical reports. However, even having perfect content in a report does not guarantee success if the way I present that information is not adequate. I agree with my peers’ review that my presentations have an issue of voice projection. Aside from that, I found that I am easily influenced by others' behaviours during my presentation. I need to be more confident in my content and not falter in my delivery, especially nearing the end of my presentation.
Another significant takeaway I have from this module is the increased awareness of my written language use. I am able to better determine what tone to adopt when writing a formal letter for transmittal. These are all very useful learning points that I am very grateful for.

Project Learning

At the start, most of our team members were more reserved individuals, who tended to hold back on their opinions. This resulted in discussions that were lifeless and unproductive. It took a little bit of icebreaking conversations and many more sessions of discussion— but with the guidance of Professor Blackstone we were able to finally clearly pinpoint the problem we had set to solve.
The research on the project was also a challenge due to lack of technical knowledge on a very technical project. Having worked in the industry before, I genuinely forgot that certain concepts and issues are not known to people who have not worked in the industry before. I now know that I have to account for every team member extent of knowledge before delving into the deeper ends of my projects.
The different working style of the team members were also a constant looming subject. Some members preferred to work alone and away in their comfort, while some felt more productive as a group. Some disagreements ensued, but since then I have learnt the need to accommodate to the different preferences of group members and not force everyone to abide by my own working style.

Organising Committee
Effective communication was required as we had to accurately relay the sufficient details of each role to everyone involved. Committee members then chose their roles according to their strengths and the roles were assigned smoothly. Additionally, a hierarchy with an overall in-charge person was quickly formed so that major changes can be relayed to a single person to organise and inform.
When the planning started, there was a petty disagreement between two strong individuals. With some mediation from the rest, fortunately they were able to put aside their differences and let the event run smoothly.
With effective communication as the entire theme of the event, I managed to keep a professional tone and was tactful enough to motivate the cameraman, who was not feeling in-the-moment due to the same disagreement prior to the event.
Overall, the event ran well without much hiccups. Apart from the brilliant presentations by the showcase teams, I believe that  the willingness to work as a team with (mostly) everyone in the committee was part of the key in producing a good showcase event.

No comments:

Post a Comment